Tuesday, April 15, 2008

International Adoption


I knew that I would get around to this topic sooner than later. I am obsessed with International Adoption. I always have been. I can remember having a conversation with a friend on the topic when I was in second grade. I think I wrote some kind of report about adoption when I was in 5th grade, maybe I was older, but I remember writing it. Anyway...I pretty much remember all of the kids and parents I have personally met along the way who have adopted internationally. The thought of a kid in an orphanage without a loving family is something that has always laid heavily on my heart. I am a part of many yahoo groups which pertain to IA. I have many favorite blogs which I read almost daily, most of which are written by families who are also involved in IA. Russia, Kazakhstan, Ukraine, Liberia, Ethiopia, Uzbekistan, China....adopting from any country fascinates me.
We were so blessed in 2005, to make our dream come true and to finally do it ourselves. We were able to adopt Nicholas in Russia. It is the single most adventurous thing I have ever done. It was the hardest "pregnancy" I ever had. I am so incredibly lucky that my dear husband got right on board with my somewhat crazy idea and supported me all along the way. Nick has been a fantastic addition to our family. He is an awesome, smart, funny, crazy kid. We all love him so very much.
Here's my dilemma, I really feel called to adopt again. It is a feeling that comes from the depths of my heart. As much as I try, I cannot make that feeling go away. I saw a documentary on the plight of children with Down Syndrome in Eastern Europe. I cannot get those images out of my mind. I just want to go and get one of those precious kids. This time, though, my dear husband does not share this dream. He thinks it would be too much for the family. Too much of a sacrifice for us, too much time, money and grief. I just do not see it that way. Am I crazy?

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I will pray his heart is changed. I know how hard that is. I do not think you are crazy at all. My goodness. LOOK at US!!! LOL. People think we have lost our minds. All I can say is... you get ONE LIFE. ONE CHANCE.

Ginny said...

Kelly, I have a sister(biological) and a brother(adopted) with down syndrome. They are 100% blessing. I would love to talk about them with you sometime.