Wednesday, November 19, 2008

7 Random Motherhood Facts (or more)

There was an interesting challenge over at One Mother's Day,  Since Nick and I are home sick today, I have time to play along.  It is a twist on the 7 random things about me idea.  This challenge is more interesting for me to write about. I am even twisting it a little more and only writing about childbirth stuff. Here goes:  There are way more, but these are what quickly came to the top of my stuffed up head. 

1.  My first child was born at 35 weeks.  My water was leaking so I was admitted into the hospital, they spent a whole day trying to get contractions to stop, then the next day starting them up again.  I had no idea what I was doing.  The whole thing was a nightmare and I have blocked most of it from my mind.  Tony was whisked off to the NICU at another hospital while I stayed at the hospital where I delivered. I think the whole thing was a medical screw-up and could have been prevented.  I did not get to see him until the next day.  It totally sucked. He stayed in the NICU for 4 days.  I stayed there during the days, but had to go home at night. I was a mess.

2.  I had (of course, since they gave him a bottle in the NICU) issues nursing him.  I refused to give up and finally had him nursing exclusively after a few months.  This was no easy feat.  I went for a few months with no sleep and no help.  My darling husband was inviting people over for dinner right and left, to show off the new baby and thinking I should be the perfect hostess.  He had no idea of what was going on.  He is somewhat clueless. (i still love him)

3.  I could not wait to get pregnant and have another baby. I had to talk my husband into it.  He gave in quite easily.

4.  My husband did not want to find out the gender of the next baby.  I found out anyway.  My friend accidentally told him the same day. oops! 

5.  My second birth was pretty painless. Lots of drugs. I had no idea I could do it without any. Claire came out all scrunchy looking.  She nursed like a champ.  I finally cut her off when she was 18 months old.  That was mean.  I still had no idea what I was doing. I guess Big dad is not the only one who could be labeled clueless at this time.

6.  I could not wait to get pregnant again and have baby #3. I really had to do some serious convincing with my husband.  He did not give in as easily this time.  I really think he was shocked when the time came and I told him we were expecting again. At this point my medical chart contained the words "advanced maternal age" 

7.  Sophie was born in 2 hours with no drugs. I arrived at the hospital at 7:30 am, had her wrapped up and nursing by 9:30 am. I wanted to go home at about noon, but they would not let me.  I should have had a home birth.  I guess I really did know what I was doing.  She started sitting at 4 months and walking at 8 months-no joke.  

(supposed to be 7 things but I'm not done)

8. Could not wait to have another kid, looked toward adoption.  We always wanted to adopt. It took a few months, maybe more to finally convince my husband that this was not a crazy idea.  He finally gave in, and was on board for another adventure.

9.  We asked for the referral of a child between the ages of 1-3.  We thought since we were "older"  we would get an older child.  We were overjoyed at the referral of a baby.  He was a super-cute baby, too.  He nursed from a bottle sitting with me holding him in the same rocking chair where I nursed everyone else.  He had his beloved "ba-ba" until he was 3.5 years old.  I was letting him make up for lost time.  I knew what I was doing.

10.  I guess we should have started earlier.  I would love to have a bunch more kids.  I am still in the convincing my husband for another adoption stage, which, this time has proved to be many times more difficult than ever before.  I do not think I am making any progress. What do you think will happen?

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

loved the random facts! so no luck on convincing big daddy on another adoption? someone posted a link on one of the adoption yahoo groups to a government statistic page. in 2008 (fiscal year ended in sept.) there were only a little over 1,500 adoptions from russia. things are definately slowing down from the past few years of closer to 4,000ish adoptions from Russia a year. :( could be a lot harder in the future to adopt a healthy child from there. i don't think our little boy is even considered "healthy" b/c he needs open heart surgery. at least they added the words "special needs" to our updated homestudy.

junglemama said...

Sorry about your first child. It osund slike they got easier thought except for when you went to adopt. :) That paperstage pregnanacy can really get ya!

Annie said...

Isn't this amazing? For some reason I thought you DID adopt an older child. I vouch for the joy of it! I hope it will work out for you somehow. Dad's are never quite as "into it"....or, not usually, anyway.